Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Is that the Superman?

“Hey, is that the Superman?” I ask in an animated manner, as I notice a human being flying away in the sky. “No! Hell NO!” answers a passerby, thoroughly bewildered by my ill founded inquisitiveness. “That’s MY grand daughter. She is learning to fly” he said with a hint of pride.

“What?? Your grand daughter!!??”

“Yes! She is the 1st child to have been born in my clan in over 5 years” more pride from the old man.

“One child in 5 years….and… is learning to fly...how..?”

“Look around, my friend, every one flies in here!”
I look behind and … presto! 10s of Humans flying…. Gosh! So many supermen…

“You look confused” said the old man.

“I surely am Sir… what’s happening around here? Humans can’t fly, only bird can! Isn’t it?”

“Hmmm… where are you from – in terms of time and space” he asked.

Time and space eh! I thought and blurted out...“I am from Nasik. Jan 2010.”

“That explains it! You surely have something to catch up on my friend” he said coolly, “This is 31st Aug 2037”. My jaw fell wide open, as the wise old man continued. “Come lets walk, I will explain”, he said placing a hand on my shoulder, we started walking.

“You would know that since the late 1990s research on cyborg technology and mechanization of the human brain had commenced. But no concrete results could be achieved. You Homo Sapiens have a very complicated brain, hence it took a long time for Laboratory science to catch up with the biology of the brain.”

The word ‘You Homo Sapiens’ stuck to my mind, as the explanation continued to unfold “By around 2013 the Scientists around the world accomplished the complete mapping of the Homo-Sapien brain. Meaning, that we now COMPLETELY understood how you brain works. Which parts are used for which purpose, which parts register which experience. The revelations were astounding. Did you know that the neocortex in you brain registers and records each of your memories, by memories I mean not just the memories of your past, but also of your future…”

“Memories of the future...” I was stunned… “Yes my friend. We discovered, to our delight and chagrin that the TIME machine, the most enduring mystery of your age, was already contained in that little area – the Neo cortex… which records the past and future. By connecting the brains of the entire homo sapien race, the scientists were able to create the future… the ultimate discovery – the presence of the future in the present! Now, in my world there is no such thing as a past, present and future. We don’t have these time zones anymore, for us they are mere places – places that we can visit at our will.”

“Your brain, my friend, records all your experiences, your feelings etc. through a complex interplay of chemicals and electrical signals. Brain mapping enabled the AES – Artificial Electrical Simulation – i.e it became possible to simulate any feeling by giving appropriate electrical stimuli – be it a feeling of peace, sereneity, spirituality , security even the feeling of an orgasm!”

Simulating an orgasm … I wondered why this invention wasn’t made earlier!
“Brain mapping allowed the scientists to invent effective Human Enhancers (something that was, again, being attempted even before the 1990s) and invent a SUPER DNA. The mapping allowed also the scientists to invent the biggest breakthrough of all times – the Cyborg. The 1st cyborg was invented in 2020, but it wasn’t good enough. It was more of a machine than human. It didn’t possess emotions, awareness, conscious and spirituality as your race did. Your eminent futurist Mr. Kurzweil had predicted that we will pass the ‘Turning Test’ in 2029… well he got it wrong, we passed it in 2024… The world then beheld the Super Human – the Cyborg - a golden mean between man and machine – the epitome of Artificial Intelligence, a life from which was immortal, powerful, peaceful. The Cyborg could achieve anything with the push of a button. He was always connected with all the cyborgs, making him much more potent and sensitive.”

“Yours was a most intelligent species, but you were heartless, selfish, exploitative and power hungry. Unlike you, we respect our planet and our fellow habitants, and we are never in conflicts. Now there are no countries on this planet. No boundaries what so ever. No wars. We are connected; we all peacefully co-exist and help each other toward our higher aims in our unlimited lives. We, sir, are more human than the humans” 

An immortal race …. No fights – no disputes – everything available at the push of a button… I wonder what their higher purpose would be. How about the concept of freedom from the circle of birth and death? These guys have achieved that, isn’t it? They will never die, and they will never be born again….there is no difference between the past, the present and the future…Have these people, through science, achieved the ultimate objective of spirituality … they are all connected – with all the living and non-living forces… they are one… is this the Einsteinian concept of singularity…

“Ring ring ring….ring ring ring…. ring ring ring….” Went my alarm!!

I wake up and look at my clock, it’s 6th Jan 2010. I realize that I still live in a power hungry world of selfish and exploitative people… I get out of my bed and prepare for the day ahead.

1 comment:

  1. Hey, nice exploration of ideas in this post .......I am waiting to read more from you ..

    ReplyDelete